Welcome

Being unemployed gives you time to think. It is a rare opportunity to reflect on who you are, and who you plan to become. Financial difficulty is a life defining experience when faced with homelessness. I have a belief that everything happens for a reason. Having a chance to live outside of and observe a system we strive to be a part of, which will eventually destroy us gives life a new perspective. At times deep in thought I remind myself that the test of success is graded in your ability to face failure. As a young man aspiring to be a rapper I often wrote of my fear of failure, and my desire to succeed. It wasn't until age 30 on a windy October day that I embraced the idea; stagnation is like dying, all successes in life, love, and finance involve risk and accountability for your actions. The fear of failure is the same as the fear of success.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Broken Keys


I practice scales on rusted pianos
Frowning at the discord
Our harmony turning out of tune melody
Broken keys kissing
Hammers made from the weight of our words
 
Playing back memories like drunken jazz men
We choke back cigarette smoke happiness
Chase our pride with cognac
I wonder if you remember what love sounds like



Baby they are playing our song
I used to make your heart skip a beat
But I wasn't much of a drummer anyway
So I sit at this broken piano
Trying to read sheet music

I ain't shit
We fade to nothing
I want to stand on sustain pedals and let us linger
Night air turning single high note

Treble clef kisses
Me turning into that bass line that carried you
Grace notes down your spine
It’s been so long since I tickled your ivory
I miss making you sing

So I sit here at this broken piano
My memory failing my finger tips
I can't touch you right anymore
We only make obnoxious noise
What happened to acoustic love-making

I'm not playing with you
Hearts are stuck in forgotten finger traps
Trying to press the chords that give us life again
Your church organ words were once something holy

They have become blasphemous goodbyes
I play an off key accompaniment
On what is left of our love
Praying those last lingering memories play in tune
They do not

1 comment:

  1. You are a king of metaphor. That in itself will make a sad song happy and bring harmony to discord. You keep writing Chris, it's your gift!
    Peace-Ms.Gist

    ReplyDelete